Monday, February 12, 2007

AT&T Golf ProAm

On Feb 9, 2007, I was invited to attend the AT&T ProAm Golf Tournament in Pebble Beach.
My friends Chris and John invited me to go, play golf, and stay at the Borg's Oceanfront Motel.









The Borg's Motel is kind of a "low-rent hotel in a high-rent area". Interesting place.












Borg's is in Pacific Grove, a wonderful place near Camel and Monterey. The walls of the motel are paper-thin, and I could actually hear the guy next door snoring. For attending the AT&T golf event, the $75. a night was fine.





Lattitudes is a great place to eat in Pacific Grove and I would go back in a heartbeat. They have a great bar and the food was excellent. I had the steak with a seafood salad and a tasty bottle of Cab.


The proximity to the ocean and the Lover's Point section of Pacific Grove was a great spot. I could hear the crash of the ocean waves from my room.







Here's the view just 50 steps from my room.















I arrived Friday morning and it was raining. When it stopped, I was able to walk across the street and take a couple of pictures.





A









A seagull flew by looking pretty happy.











We took a required bus to the AT&T ProAm at Pebble Beach to see the pros and the stars. It's pretty exciting to walk around and look for the pros that you've followed for years. Here's VJ Singh on the 18th green after hitting his ball into the crowd.








The film crew at the tounament.






Here's Tom Brady, NFL quarterback walking with Emmit Smith, winner of "Dancing with the Stars". No cameras were allowed in the tounament and I was the only one tha I saw who had a canera. I "snuck" it out to take these shots of these NFL greats.
This was the first shot I took after we entered the tournament. It was a beautiful day, although windy and cold.
We found some seats at the bleachers and sat and waited for the pros and stars to come through. We did well: we saw Kevin Costner, Andy Garcia, Kevin James, Ray Ramano, Bill Murray, Tom Brady, Emmitt Smith, VJ Singh, and several others.
]
Here's Bill Murray playing to the crowd.
As the day went on, it got windy and cold with intermittent rain. Sunny and clear, we braved the wind to see the show and survived on sandwiches and beers.
Despite what this board says, Phil Michelson went on to win the tournament and pocket a lot of money. Around 3pm, we left the course for the warmth and comfort of the Borg Motel and a great dinner at Clint Eastwood's place in Carmel.
While hanging around at the Carmel Mission, I shot this great prickly pear cactus. While in Boy Scouts, a hundred years ago, we used to cut these "pears" off and scrape out the insides into our hands to eat. I was tempted to cut these, but church was in session this Sunday morning and I refrained.











This statue was at the Carmel Mission. The weird thing was that at the base of it lie a skull at his toes. Not sure what that meant.













These guys were just hanging out at the local cemetary in Pacific grove. They don't look real and never moved.












And the rest are random shots of the grounds at the Carmel Mission nearby.



















1 comment:

John F. Hughes said...

Crazed guy with a stick? Crazed guy with a stick?

Don't you mean "St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint and eponym of the beautiful city of San Francisco."

I thought so...