Tuesday, July 24, 2007

China Day 11 -- Xian to Beijing

Morning in Xian and time to head for the airport for our last inner-China flight. We are going to Beijing for a few days and then, for us, home. Eleven in our group opted for the Tibet extension, which, at the time, seemed too long for us. We arrive in Beijing, where we actually started our journey before leaving for Shanghai.



Lots of tourists in Beijing, including these twins getting their picture taken by Mom.



OK, on to the Temple of Heaven on this gray Beijing day. It looks foggy out, but it's the pollution in Beijing that is noticeable. It reminds me of LA in the smoggy days, but with a lot more Chinese people. I head up the steps to get a better shot.



The Temple of Heaven was built in 1420 A.D. during the Ming Dynasty for the emperor to worship Heaven. The Temple of Heaven is in the southern part of Beijing and is China's largest existing complex of ancient sacrificial buildings. This building is actually The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest and the most commonly photographed.


The Temple of Heaven is a huge area (I thought it was just the building above), but it covers 273 hectares, and is three times the area of the Forbidden City. There are many other structures around that make up part of the Temple.



By the way, 1 hectare = 2.47105381 acres, so the Temple grounds are, uh, lessee...273 times 2.4 is...uh, really big.

All this cypherin' and guzintas (3 guzinta 6 = 2) makes me need to use the bathroom and thanks to the sign, I easily find my way.



I love this picture. This girl was not happy about me taking her picture from afar and gives me a funny look. Maybe she has misunderstood my good intentions as a tourist and photographer, so I take another picture.



She gives me this look. Even better. "In your face, mister."

Like most old buildings and temples we saw in China, the roofs and rooflines here are amazing. Filled with dragons, people, and mythical creatures, they always interest me.



And like the Forbidden City, they have great archways leading to other courtyards and more buildings.



Everyone is taking pictures including these Chinese tourists. In the US, young people tend to dress alike, often wearing things close to what their friends wear. Here, no difference: same pants, shoes, and similar t-shirts.



I remember being 16 and getting the cool fad item of the time: denim overalls. So did my friend Don Story. We looked like dorks proudly walking around together wearing our farmer's overalls.

Speaking of tourists, I'm not sure what I have here. Ladies, don't ever do this, whatever "this" is. Mellissa says it's a girdle, but I say it's a top that's two sizes two small.

So long Temple of Heaven, it's time for lunch.

We leave the heat, humidity, tourists, and pollution for this. Priceless.

The restaurant was a cool place where you could dress up in Emperor or Empress clothing and take pics. There is also a stage where you can sit on a throne for better pics.

While deciding if I want pics of me dressed up , I see Rick getting a beer and massage from the waitress. Decision made: I have enough pics of me dressed up as an Empress.

After dinner, we are taken to a fantastic Kung Fu show. No photos allowed, but I sneak one of the closing ceremonies.

Peace out, y'all.



























No comments: