Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Maximum Bird (Max) 1972 - 2007

This is my saddest blog to date, but I feel that Max should have a little tribute. My baby bird had to be put down as a result of paralysis due to a fractured spine after falling off his perch. He spent five days in the bird hospital and and never recovered. Mellissa and I talked a lot about it and ultimately made the tough decision.

I've had Max for 30 years and was told that he was five years old when I bought him in 1977 for $550.00. He was a Blue-Front Amazon parrot. You can read about the species here (although, unless you are a bird nut, skip it and just keep reading.)

In this old converted slide,we are getting to know each other many years ago. Max could be ornery, but actually liked Molly, my Blue and Gold Macaw. Well, he tolerated her. (I'm the thin one in the middle.)

Wild, and caught in the Amazon, Max wasn't the typical hand-fed, friendly pet, especially with strangers. What few realized is what a big wimp he was. Although extremely affectionate with me, I wish he had been that way with others, especially Mellissa, who always took good care of him. But, such is the nature of the Blue Front Amazon - tough birds.

Max and I have been through thick and thin together. Jobs, apartments, homes, and relationships have come and gone, but Max was always with me throughout all of it. Years later, when I traveled for work, I always knew Max was OK when Mellissa complained that he snapped, lunged, bit, threw water on, or otherwise threatened her. Although I was never happy that he tormented her, I always felt better because I then knew that he was doing fine.

Most people don't know much about large parrots (and why would they?) but the perfect bird is loud, noisy, destructive, messy, curious, fun, interesting, and affectionate. Max, therefore, was the perfect bird. Into, and onto everything he was.

Blue Fronts are rated as the fifth best talker among the Amazon parrots, but Max was a little slow. He was, as some phrased it, "special." But, he did talk often in two voices, mine or Mellissa's. Check out this video by clicking on the play button.

I'm heartbroken that I've lost my pal, but it's been a great 30 years for him - and even more so for me, something that many people don't get to experience. I think that we were both pretty fortunate having been together for so long.

No, we're not getting another bird, as many have asked, since we have new adventures ahead of us, but Max Bird will be greatly missed.

Here's to you, buddy.

No comments: